Love God. Love People. Serve the World.
We welcome all to worship with us!
Click here to download First UMC Center’s official statement regarding the precautions being taken with the COVID-19 (coronavirus).
FIRST UMC WORSHIP ONLINE
- First UMC Palm Sunday Worship Service (Recorded) – April 5, 2020
- First UMC Facebook Live Worship Service – March 29, 2020
- First UMC Facebook Live Worship Service – March 22, 2020
- Special Music with Nancy Dickerson and Jim Green
I am staying home and hope you are doing the same. My prayer is that all of us stay out of the Covid-19 related news. I want to invite you to Maundy Thursday at 7pm online. Bishop Jones is conducting a Facebook Live worship service at https://www.facebook.com/txumc/. As part of that service, we will observe a Love Feast which is an alternative to Holy Communion when you cannot physically gather. If you join us, you need to have either bread or cracker and water with you so you can participate.
I want to offer you scriptures for each day of this Holy Week to help you navigate to the cross and to Easter morning.
Call me if I can help with anything!
Monday of Holy Week
Isaiah 42: 1-9 / Psalm 36: 5-11 / Hebrews 9: 11-15 / John12: 1-11
Tuesday of Holy Week
Isaiah 49: 1-7 / Psalm 71: 1-14 / I Corinthians 1: 18-31 / John 12: 20-36
Wednesday of Holy Week
Isaiah 50: 4-9 / Psalm 70 / Hebrews 12: 1-3 / John 13: 21-32
Exodus 12: 1-14 / Psalm 116: 1-2, 12-19/ I Corinthians 11: 23-26 / John 13: 1-17,31-35
Isaiah 52: 13-53:12 / Psalm 22 / Hebrews 4: 14-16, 5: 7—9 /John 18: 1-19: 42
Lamentations 3: 1-9, 19-24 / Psalm 31 / I Peter 4: 1-8 / John 19: 38-42
Jeremiah 31: 1-6 / Psalm 118: 1-2,14-24 / Colossians 3:1-4 / John 21: 19-31
April 1, 2020
COVID-19 CHURCH INFO
Due to our County’s Stay-At-Home order, the church staff is rotating workdays in the office to make sure we are keeping ourselves, our families and you safe and so that once this order is lifted, we are ready to come back healthy and strong.
The Governor has now decided that online worship services are essential along with liquor stores that have always been on the list, we will continue to come together as a staff to make those happen.
In addition, we will still be praying for you, checking on you, checking the mail, paying bills, and depositing your tithes and offerings If there is anything you need, please call me at the parsonage 598-3616 or on my cell (409) 382-8218.
Regarding worship, we have recorded both Palm Sunday and Easter services this week because we were not sure if we would be able to continue meeting to make worship happen Facebook Live.
On Palm Sunday, April 5th, the wooden cross that is usually in the sanctuary during Lent, will be in front of the church covered in greenery; palms are unavailable this year. We are asking that early on Easter Sunday morning you drive up and place your flowers on the cross. Take your traditional family photo if you desire to do so.
On Good Friday, I hope you will take the time to engage with the “Virtual Stations of the Cross” you’ll be getting. Take care of ourselves!
OTHER WAYS TO WORSHIP
We will be making decisions on a weekly basis after March 29, 2020. During this time, we are offering worship opportunities in other formats to keep you all safe, but spiritually fed. Here are some ways to worship:
- Worship as a family using the Worship Guide being mailed to you.
- Bishop Scott Jones is offering worship at this link: https://www.facebook.com/txumc/
- Watch Rev. Dr. Pat Day, First United Methodist Church in Shreveport, either tuning via the internet at https://firstshreveport.com/media/traditional or on television at 11:00 a.m. on KTBS.
- All the above!
PROGRAM CANCELLATIONS / POSTPONEMENTS
- Cancelled | Trustees Meeting and Church Council Meeting
- Postponed until further notice | Kids Grow ‘N Christ, MYF, Garage Sale, Ladies Exercise, Choir, Handbells, Nursing Home Ministry, Lenten Bible Study
TEMPORARILY ON HOLD
REGULAR WORSHIP SERVICES & TIMES
First United Methodist Church of Center, Texas offers two traditional services of worship every Sunday at 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. in the sanctuary. The services include scripture, prayer, singing of well-loved hymns led by the Chancel Choir, a children’s message and a sermon by Pastor Karen Jones. Communion is offered on the first Sunday of each month during both services. Nursery is provided for both worship services. Sunday School classes begin at 10:00 a.m. Please stay for fellowship and refreshments in our Fellowship Hall at 9:30 a.m. following our early worship service.
At First UMC, we want to stay connected with each and everyone of you while we are practicing social distancing and sheltering in place. Zoom is one way we can be together while we are away from one another!
While we are all in this together, Zoom offers video capabilities allowing us to hold meetings, Sunday School classes, Bible Study groups, just visit with one another, your family, your friends, and possibly hold choir while we sing joyfully with one another! It will truly wonderful to see your faces as we visit on-screen and continue with our church’s mission: Love God. Love People. Serve The World!
Many of you may already use Zoom for business or education purposes; if not, please visit their website and sign up today! All you need is a username and password — and their Basic plan is Free! You can join on their home page! Listed below are Zoom links to hopefully guide you through the process.
- Zoom Plans: https://zoom.us/pricing
- Zoom Support during the COVID-19 pandemic: https://zoom.us/docs/en-us/covid19.html
- Zoom Frequently Asked Questions: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206175806-Top-Questions?_ga=2.104285120.1340045666.1585511995-1807278209.1584829590
- Zoom for Outlook Add-In (Web and Desktop): https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115005223126-Zoom-for-Outlook-Add-In-Web-and-Desktop-
FUMC Youth Group presents: The Envelope Challenge Fundraiser
Reminder!! Many envelopes still remain! Please say YES to an envelope and help our YOUTH! Thank you if you have already donated!
Our First UMC Youth Group began “The Envelope Challenge Fundraiser” a couple of weeks ago and is still underway! In our Fellowship Hall, there is a board with numbered envelopes representing a $$dollar$$ amount. The donations assist with summer camps and our upcoming mission trip to Mexico. Follow these simple steps to donate to these amazing life changing trips for our Youth:
1) Pick up envelope with the number of the amount you would like to donate.
2) Put that amount in the envelope.
3) Drop the envelope into the box beside the board.
4) Yes, it’s that simple!
This fundraiser will continue until every envelope has vanished off the board. For details, please contact Faythe Abraham, Director of Children & Youth Ministry at (210) 487-0097 or at the church office (936) 598-2707. Thank you for supporting our Youth!
How Can I Pray for You? Christian Pen Pals
The First United Methodist Church (UMC) of Center and Polly McKissick Montemayor, First UMC Missions Committee Chair, extends an invitation to our community by joining the members at First UMC by becoming a pen pal and connecting with an individual in the congregation of Gold Creek Agape Church in Mezcales, Nayarit, Mexico. The goal is to establish a relationship between our two churches as well as our community by connecting members and residents directly and encouraging them to pray for one another. To discover how to become a pen pal and where to send your letters, please visit our Ministries page for all the details!
The Center First UMC Dollar-A-Week Campaign began in February 2017 with donations earmarked for awarding grants assisting our community in significant ways and allowing reachable goals for church ministries and organizations. Have a passion for what hurts God’s heart in our community? Want seed money to kick-off a ministry that addresses that need? Know of an area non-profit organization in need? Know of a teacher that has a creative project that exceeds beyond the school budget? For details, past awards and how you can donate to this campaign, please visit our Dollar-A-Week Campaign link. Thank you for your donations and support!
TEMPORARILY ON HOLD
SAVE THE DATE
- Sunday, April 5 – 2:00 p.m.| Rise Up with Jesus, an Easter Event for Families! Details coming soon! Individually wrapped candy is needed!
- Wednesday, June 3 through Friday, June 5 | Inaugural Celebration of the Arts | Details coming soon!
- Sunday, June 21 through Saturday, Friday, June 26 | Summer Camp at Lakeview Methodist Conference Center. Registration open to children entering 3rd grade and above. Your cost is $220/Church pays the remaining one-half! Registration deadline is March 30! REGISTER NOW at www.lakeviewmcc.org
- Monday, July 6 through Friday, July 10 | Vacation Bible School
- Saturday, July 25 through Saturday, August 1 | Summer Mission Trip for Youth, Adults and Families! Watch for information from our Missions Committee. Prayerfully consider how you can be a part of this opportunity! We need Players (those who go), Payers (those who can help with another person to go) and Prayers (all of you who will pray for the trip beginning now through the safe return of the team)!