Love God. Love People. Serve the World.
FIRST UMC WORSHIP SERVICES
IN-PERSON AND ONLINE
Welcome to First United Methodist Church Facebook Live Worship Service for Sunday, June 28, 2020, 4th Sunday after Pentecost. Thank you for commenting during our Facebook Live worship service. Our sanctuary has reopened for both the 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. in-person worship services. Please call Kelli in the church office at 598-2707 if you will be attending in-person worship next Sunday. We are reminded God is still with us and we are in this together. We love you, we miss you, we are here for you, we are so glad you all are back! Prayers and blessings to you.
- No more than 50 persons will be allowed in at each worship service; therefore, you will need to call Kelli Snider at 598-2707 to inform us as to which service you plan to attend.
- Everyone will be asked to wear a mask while entering and exiting the building and while singing.
- You will be seated and dismissed by the ushers.
- Everyone will enter through the door by the elevator. There will be a greeter at that door. Hand sanitizer will be available.
- Every other pew will be left empty to maintain 6’ of distance.
- People sitting on the same pew will maintain 6’ of separation between individuals or couples or family groups.
- We will continue to live stream services even after we reopen for those not yet comfortable attending in person.
- Pew cushions, hymnals and Bibles have been removed from the pews since they are difficult to sanitize. You may bring their own cushion.
- The offering plates will be placed on a table near the elevator. No offering plates will be passed.
- Elevator users will be asked to limit riders to one at a time.
- Elevator users will begin to be dismissed during the postlude. All others will be asked to remain seated until the postlude concludes at which time they will be dismissed by rows.
- Restrooms will be cleaned between each service.
- Children will stay with their parents. The nursery will not be staffed.
- Children will stay with their parents for children’s time.
- Coffee Fellowship will resume at a later date.
- Sunday School will be held by Zoom.
- When Holy Communion is observed, the elements will be offered in the pews using self-contained bread and juice packets.
Welcome Pastor Malcolm and Teresa Monroe
Monday, June 29 – Saturday, July 11 | Meal Train: Please join us as we welcome Pastor Malcolm & Teresa with a Meal Train beginning Monday, June 29 through Saturday, July 11. Visit the link to select a date for the meal you want to provide for them https://mealtrain.com/l1672w. Contact Kelli in the church office at 598-2707 if you have any questions. Thank you!
The Pastor’s Pen: Dear Church Family
June 22, 2020
Dear Church Family,
I’ve always advised youth who are graduating high school and moving off to go to school, to look for the “Cross and Flame.” Those people in those churches are family. If you need friends, go there. If you need a church home while away from home, go there. If you need help, go there. I would tell them to tell the people that they meet, where they are from and that they are part of the Methodist family.
I’m originally from Rosenberg Texas, grew up attending First United Methodist Church of Rosenberg and graduated from Lamar CISD High School. I continued my education at the University of Texas at Arlington as a business management major. After the closing of our family business, I returned to school and received my BSW in preparation for ministry. After receiving my degree, I enrolled at Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore, Kentucky where I earned my Master of Divinity Degree.
I began in ministry as a short-term missionary in Kobe, Japan. After Japan, I began local ministry as a youth director and as a Local Pastor in Arlington, Texas. After graduating seminary, and returning to the Texas Annual Conference, I was ordained a Deacon in 1993 and as an Elder in full connection in 1995. One of my many ministry highlights include serving as the founding president of Habitat for Humanity in Orange, Texas, and building a neighborhood of 30 homes. I was involved with clown ministry for many years as a clown named, “Whoso Ever.”
Teresa and I recently celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary. Teresa is an educational professional with over 30 years of combined experience in administration and in the classroom. She is a native of Roseto, a tiny Italian town near the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania and is still adjusting to the “Methodist” way of doing things. Together, we have four children and two grandchildren. Whew, enough about us. We’ll get to know each other better soon enough.
Teresa and I are giving thanks to God for what has been, what is and for what is yet to come! We look forward to meeting you soon.
Pastor Malcolm Monroe
STAYING CONNECTED: WE ARE HERE FOR YOU
On Sunday, June 7, 2020, First UMC reopened for in-person worship services in our church sanctuary at 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. For those who choose to remain at home, the 11:00 a.m. worship service will continue to be livestreamed on Facebook Live (link below). Please utilize the following social media channels to stay connected, share support, find encouragement, and continue to grow in our faith. We are reminded God is still with us and we are in this together.
- Website: www.fumccentertx.org
- Worship Online: http://fumccentertx.org/worship-online/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FUMCCenterTexas/
- GivePlus: http://fumccentertx.org/giveplus-online-giving/
- Zoom: http://fumccentertx.org/zoom/ Learn how to create your account, host and attend committee meetings.
- The Methodist Messenger Newsletter: http://fumccentertx.org/the-methodist-messenger-newsletter-2020/ – Worship Service Guides and additional weekly information.
- First UMC Methodist Men & 2020 Methodist Children’s Home $500K Giving Day Fundraiser – June 30: https://app.mobilecause.com/vf/500K/MethodistMenOfCenterFUMC or text 500K18 to 71777. For additional details, visit http://fumccentertx.org/first-umc-methodist-men-2020-methodist-childrens-home-500k-giving-day/
- Rev. Malcolm and Teresa Monroe: Save the Date Meal Train | Please contact Kelli if you have questions or need additional details!
- Monday, June 29 – Saturday, July 11 | Meal Train: We will be doing a meal train for Pastor Malcolm & Teresa beginning Monday, June 29 through Saturday, July 11. Please use this link https://mealtrain.com/l1672w to select a date for the meal you are providing.
- Kelli Snider, Administrative Assistant: Please stay connected with Kelli at our church office at (936) 598-2707 or cell (936) 332-0227 if you any questions or concerns, make church donations, to place information in our newsletter, arrange upcoming in-person meetings or find out about church news.
- Faythe Abraham, Director of Children & Youth Ministries: Please contact Faythe at the church office (936) 598-2707 or cell (210) 487-0097 to find out about upcoming information about our Kids Grow ‘N Christ and MYF Programs.
First UMC Communications
SAVE THE DATES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
New Hours Church Office: First UMC office reopened Monday, May 4th with new hours: Monday through Thursday, 9am to 3pm and Friday, 9am to Noon. To continue respecting everyone’s safety through social distancing, after you ring the doorbell and you are allowed entry into the Fellowship Hall foyer, Kelli will greet you at her office door. If you want to make an appointment with Karen, Faythe or Kelli, please call the church office at (936) 598-2707. We appreciate your understanding during this time.
July 2020 Meetings
- July 1 – 5:30 p.m. | Worship Committee | Sanctuary
- July 6 – 5:15 p.m. | Finance Committee | Sanctuary
- July 14 – 5:30 p.m. | Missions Committee | ZOOM
- July 21 – 5:30 p.m. | Trustees Committee | Sanctuary
First UMC Methodist Men
2020 Methodist Children’s Home $500K Giving Day
Save the date! Tuesday, June 30 is our annual matching gift challenge! This year, you have the opportunity to turn $250K into $500K! One hundred percent of donations on $500K Day will go towards direct childcare costs, not administrative, thus increasing your impact in the lives of the children, youth and families we serve. Kelly Lawson, director of annual giving, shares additional ways you can help us reach our goals this year, including a text-to-donate option. In a few days, we will provide a special link for you to register to become a fundraiser on your own or as part of a team, and special prizes will be awarded! Stay tuned for more information!
“Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.” John 3:18
This scripture inspires the Center, Texas First United Methodist Men to support the over 5,000 children and families of Methodist Children’s Home (MCH) as the men provide for their own children. The men often say “MCH kids are our kids too!” Each month, the Methodist Men cook a big breakfast for our congregation with all money donated going to MCH. COVID 19 stopped this. Needs MCH children continue. We thank the generosity of church members and people like you who support the vital MCH ministry.
Please join the First UMC Methodist Men with your donations for the annual 2020 Methodist Children’s Home $500K Giving Day
on June 30 by visiting the link https://app.mobilecause.com/vf/500K/MethodistMenOfCenterFUMC
or text 500K18 to 71777.
Methodist Children’s Home offers hope to children, youth and families through a nurturing, Christian community. MCH serves children through residential programs on the Waco Campus and Boys Ranch, and through foster care, transition services and a variety of outreach programs in 13 communities throughout Texas and New Mexico.
First UMC Methodist Men
On Father’s Day, Sunday, June 21, 2020, the First UMC Methodist Men accepted donations for the Methodist Children’s Home in honor of or memory of fathers, grandfathers, and special friends. The children at the Methodist Children’s Home and the Boy’s Ranch have been in quarantine during the COVID-19 stay-at-home orders. The donors list with honorary and memorial donations was emailed on Friday, June 26, 2020 and the copy is here. We appreciate your support of this important ministry. Thank you for your gracious donations!